About me

I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. These are my adventures while serving in the England London mission.


email me at adriana {dot} mcfarland {at} myldsmail {dot} net

Monday, February 1, 2016

Sick and Afflicted

 Hello all! I hope you had a good week. This week was really good for
us! Missionaries who serve close to London get to spend one Pday a
transfer in London, so last week we spent our day in London! First we
went to Sky Gardens, which is a really tall building  and from the top
floor is the best view of London. Then we visited Harrods, which is
one of the most expensive store in the world. I'm pretty sure it's
what Lehi saw when he saw the great and spacious building. Before
going home we visited Big Ben. While there, we met two tourists from
Utah who are Mormon! Haha it was great to talk with them.

We have been teaching this really great guy named Gerry. The other day
he came for his lesson and I thought he looked very different. I was
trying to figure out if he had gotten a haircut or something, when he
started to tell us that ever since he has started praying, that he has
felt so happy! It was amazing! He said he still had his old problems,
but since hearing about the gospel, he looks at them in a new way. And
it is so true. The gospel doesn't take away our problems, but it sure
gives us a way to handle them! Gerry came to church yesterday and
loved it. During sacrament meeting, the brother who was conducting
said a welcome to all who may be visiting, which is quite normal. Then
he said " There is a nice looking guy sitting there with the sisters,
so everyone go say hi to him after church. (Then to Gerry) What is
your name? Just shout it out." So Gerry shouted out his name to the
congregation. I was mortified, especially because Gerry had just told
us he wanted to blend into the meeting. Oh well. But I was very
grateful that the ward was so welcoming to new people we brought to
church.

We had an appointment with a potential we met last week named Earnest.
When we got to his house, the member who came with us recognised the
house and said she had come teaching here before. When we went in,
Earnest's brother was there and got excited when he saw us.  " Do you
remember me?" He asked us. Uh, no. We had never seen him before. But
he used to be taught by the sister missionaries! And sure enough, he
started pulling out a Book of Mormon, pamphlets, and even a Gospel
Principle Manual. He was mad that the sisters hadn't come back. So we
will be seeing him again next week! He seems like a really great guy.

Every Wednesday at the church we have a sports night where we play
football and volleyball at the chapel with members, investigators, and
less actives. During last Wednesday's game, I started to get a really
bad headache. It got worse and worse until it was a migraine. When we
got home, I not only had a migraine but felt really nauseous. I ended
up throwing up during the middle of call ins with our district leader.
Sister Matthews is so kind and motherly, and she really took good care
of me. But miracles can happen, and after a good night sleep I was
feeling much better, although I felt a bit sick the next day. And a
small tender mercy was that I got to go to bed early.  The next day
though we were walking to an appointment when sister Matthews knee
suddenly started hurting. It has gotten progressively worse, and is
very painful for her to walk on. It does give us some great
opportunities to reenact the scene from Lord of the Rings where Sam
carries Frodo up the mountain, because anywhere we walk its with her arm
around my shoulders and limping. She called Sister Stevens and we will
hopefully be seeing a doctor soon.

Sometimes when it is very cold and rainy, I would imagine what it
would be like to stay in the flat and not go out, until yesterday when
that became reality. Sister Matthews had to rest her leg, so we stayed
in for part of the day. It didn't take long before I started to go
crazy. We did as much as we could from the flat, making phone calls,
writing thank you cards for members, and organizing and calling people
from the area book. Our flat has also never been cleaner.
Sorry for such a long email, but I just have so much I want to tell
you about! I hope you all have a great week.
Love,
Sister McFarland

No comments:

Post a Comment