About me

I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. These are my adventures while serving in the England London mission.


email me at adriana {dot} mcfarland {at} myldsmail {dot} net

Monday, January 25, 2016

Running Everywhere



Hello everyone! I hope you all had a great week! This week was very
good for us. Last Monday was Sister Matthew's birthday! The zone
leaders knocked on our door during exercise and took us to McDonald's
for breakfast. Later in the day we went to Hadleigh castle with some
of the district. I didn't think that the old ruins of a castle would
entertain us for hours, but we had so much fun!

We were so busy this week, which was amazing. The best days in a
missionary's life are the super busy ones. We were so packed with
appointments that we were literally running from place to place. We
would arrive to our appointments red faced and out of breath, but we
made it! Every missionary seems to have mastered the art of speed
walking. Sister Matthews can walk so fast! I am quite short and
usually have to jog to keep up, but at least I am staying fit!
We are teaching this great guy named Gerry from Scotland. We arrived
at his lesson out of breath and late because we had run there, but we
had a great lesson about the plan of salvation. He was so excited
about it and just seemed to soak it all up. I am excited for him, I
can already see how much the gospel is blessing his life.

After  we had a great lesson with an investigator named Aldrin, we were
talking with a member in town centre. A couple came up to us and asked
us, "Excuse me, but do you have a flyer for your church?" We were
almost in shock that someone had come and talked to us! We gave them
our card and told them about the church. They were fairly new in the
area and are looking for a new church to join! They noticed our badges
and were curious to know more about the church. We were so excited
that we got to talk to them. I noticed that they had an accent, so I
asked them where they were from. Turns out they are from South Africa!
Sister Matthews was so excited to see a fellow South African. They
even talked a bit in Afrikaans. They didn't come to church yesterday,
but we hope to be seeing them soon!

We had another cool miracle this week. A member from Lithuania had
invited her friend and her husband to meet with us! Their English is
very poor, so we will be helping them with English too. We say
something, and then the member translates it into Lithuanian, then
translates what they say back to English. Maybe I will start learning
Lithuanian!

On Sundays the buses don't run as regularly as they do during the
week. Yesterday we were waiting for the bus for ages, and when it
finally came, we were too distracted talking to each other that the
bus zoomed right past us before we could flag it down. We were
frustrated, but decided to walk to the next stop and wait there. As
soon as we left the stop, another bus zoomed past. We couldn't believe
we missed both busses right after each other! We just ended up walking
instead.

We had interviews with our mission president this week, which always
leaves me feeling inspired and pumped for missionary work. The
trainings we had were all about the atonement. We talked about how the
atonement is the core of everything we do as a church. I am so thankful
for the Book of Mormon which strengthens our understanding of the
atonement so much. I know that the Book of Mormon is true!

My address is:
Sister McFarland
9 Castle Road
Rayleigh
Essex
Ss6
7qd
England

I love you all! Have a great week!

Love, Sister McFarland

No comments:

Post a Comment