About me

I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. These are my adventures while serving in the England London mission.


email me at adriana {dot} mcfarland {at} myldsmail {dot} net

Monday, November 7, 2016

Remember, Remember the 5th of November

Hey everyone!

Apologies for last week. It was a crazy p day and I didn't have enough time to send out a long email! I hope you all had a happy Halloween and ate lots of candy. 

On Tuesday, we got to go to Colchester for an exchange with the Sister Training leaders. I got to be with Sister Phillips, who is in my group and was the first person I met in the mission. It was fun to catch up and spend the day with her! We also taught a few very awkward lessons to some very interesting people, but it's fine. :) #embracetheawkward 
 
This week we had the opportunity to celebrate bonfire night, which is a holiday here in England. It's a rare holiday as we celebrate something that didn't happen!  It's to celebrate that once a man named Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament, but was caught and killed before it happened. Everyone celebrates with big bonfires and fireworks. Last year I didn't get to go to one, but this year our ward had a bonfire and fireworks. It was a lot of fun, and was the biggest bonfire that I have ever seen in my life.  I was also convinced that our lives were in jeopardy!  It started when someone put a 15 year old young man in charge of the fireworks, and they were way to close for my comfort. (Hermana Tobler will understand my fear of being too close to fireworks...) But everything was going okay until a few rogue firework decided to shake things up. Suddenly, instead of shooting up, they went sideways, and fireworks were exploding right in front of us! All at once, everyone seemed to realize that this was not supposed to be happening, and started scrambling to get away from the explosions. My companion and I dove behind a shed for protection. One member was hit on the leg, but no one was hurt. Everyone seemed to shrug the incident off like it was no big deal, and carried on launching the rest of the fireworks.  I'm told that something like this happens every year, (and that last year was much worse).  I spent the rest of the evening as far away from the fireworks as possible, and clinging to Sister Cabral's arm every time a firework went off. 

Not much more has happened with the work in Dereham, as everyone who we were teaching seems to have dropped off. We are starting back at the beginning with finding new people to teach. 

I love being a missionary! It's the greatest thing. I know this church is true. 
I love you all, and I hope you have a great week. Stay safe and away from crazy firework shows! 

Love,
Sister Adriana McFarland 



No comments:

Post a Comment