About me

I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. These are my adventures while serving in the England London mission.


email me at adriana {dot} mcfarland {at} myldsmail {dot} net

Monday, November 14, 2016

In Memory of My Bag

This week was full of learning experiences for me. The past two weeks have been a real challenge for Sister Cabral and I and the work in Dereham. Last week all of our investigators dropped us, and this past week we struggled to find new friends. Now I'm not one to count numbers, but i'ts really stressful when you get to Saturday afternoon and every single key indicator is at zero. We had planned to have a full day of finding, and despite the heavy rain we were determined to not come home until we found a new friend. The day didn't start out too great as our appointment didn't show up. As a backup plan we did some tracting. Unfortunately, while we were tracting, my beloved, faithful, bright blue "Mary Poppins" bag decided to give up the ghost. The zipper completely broke, and in a country where it rains all the time, a bag that doesn't close is useless. For 16 months that bag has been by my side in the rain or sunshine, cold and humid heat. It's carried so many things for me and all my companions, and been loved by every cat who ever tried to sit on it. It's a silly thing to be upset about, but I sure loved that bag and will miss it immensely.

After such an emotional morning, God blessed us so much that evening. We got a call from our zone leaders telling us that they wanted to come finding with us in the evening to help us out. Lads. They were super late though, and while we were waiting for them we were able to find two new friends who are interested in learning more! They were both such miracles and so prepared. When the zone leaders finally came, it was nearly time to go home for dinner, which we were so looking forward to after a long day. But because they had come out so far to help us, we decided to tract one more street. And on that street we found a really wonderful father who wanted us to come and teach his family. His nine year old son hears the church bells go off every Sunday from the old church in town, and has really wanted to go to church. His father doesn't want to limit him to one church though, and has really wanted to meet with the missionaries again so he and his son can learn about our church.
I was so grateful that God blessed us so much!

I really have learned that God sometimes leaves things to the very last minute to test our faith. He could have led us to those people at the beginning of the week, but he didn't. He waited so that we could also benefit and learn from the experience of stretching ourselves to find them.
In Ether 12:6 it says: "dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." God tests us with a trail of our faith, and at that last possible minute before we want to give up He blesses us.  He waited until the very end of the day to give us those people to teach.

The church is true! I am so thankful for the gospel in my life.
I hope you all have a wonderful week!
Love you all!
Sister Adriana McFarland

No comments:

Post a Comment