About me

I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. These are my adventures while serving in the England London mission.


email me at adriana {dot} mcfarland {at} myldsmail {dot} net

Monday, August 15, 2016

13 is a Lucky Number

Howdy y'all!
Can you believe that I hit my 13 month mark this week? It's so crazy
to think I have been out this long. I am becoming an old missionary.

Tuesday worked out so well because we had an exchange with Sister
Phillips and Sister Swann, who are our sister training leaders. They
are both in the same group as me, so we could all celebrate our 13
month mark together! We were all in the same district at the MTC, so
we had quite a reunion.

We have changed the way we do exchanges, so instead of one
companionship staying and the other going to the other area, both of
us travelled to Ilford and then split up with the STL's during the
day.  I got to be with Sister Swann, and it was just so much fun being
reunited with my old companion. We served together 6 months ago in
Ashford, and we kept reminiscing old memories. Man, I just love that
girl! Every exchange we have a "teacher training" and an exchange
evaluation, where we set goals for our improvement. It was such a
spiritually uplifting time for me and I loved it.

After this amazing experience, we came down the stairs to find an
interesting scene in the chapel foyer: The STL's investigator, who
Sister Topp and Sister Phillips had just been teaching, was lying on
the floor, while sister Phillips was sitting next to him and trying to
call someone on the phone while Sister Topp was holding the door open
so that he could get some fresh air. We rushed over to help, but
thankfully when we got there he was already coming back to normal.
Apparently though he had not been having an "Alma the Younger"
experience, but was recovering from a seizure that had happened
unexpectedly during the lesson. He rested for a while, and then felt
recovered enough to return home. So thankfully he is going to be okay!
But it definitely made it the most interesting exchange I had ever
been on! But, reflecting on this experience and that it happened on
our 13 th month mark... maybe 13 really is an unlucky number.

The past two weeks we have been teaching our friend Janet. But not to
be confused with the other Janet I wrote about a few weeks ago; this
is a new Janet, from Scotland.  Anyways, this Janet came up to
us on the street and said: "Hello, I'm new here."  Shocked that
someone had approached us, we set up a time to teach her again. During
our second lesson, she told us about how her son and ex husband were
baptised, and kept talking about the many missionaries she had met in
her life. I asked her if she had ever thought about being baptised,
and she told us that she had been baptised when she was 14! Haha that
threw our whole lesson plan out the window. She has been inactive for
over 30 years, but is now making the effort to come back. She came to
church yesterday and loved it.

Well, it's definitely been a crazy week. I love being a missionary!
I love you all! Hope you have a fantastic week!

Love always,
Sister McFarland

1) Exchange
2) 13 months
3) We love weekly planning




No comments:

Post a Comment