About me

I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. These are my adventures while serving in the England London mission.


email me at adriana {dot} mcfarland {at} myldsmail {dot} net

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

400 Strong

Hello everyone!

This week we had the amazing privilege of having a mission wide
conference, combined with the London south mission, to hear from Elder
Dallin H. Oaks from the quorum of the twelve apostles. We all met in
Hyde park chapel early Tuesday morning, which was packed full of
400 missionaries. I had fasted the Sunday before that I would have a
very spiritual experience, and it truly was amazing. We each had the
opportunity to shake Elder Oaks hand before the meeting began. I was
actually really nervous for this, but when I met him I was surprised
by how normal and funny he is! He greeted every missionary, and I
could feel his love for each of us. When I shook his hand, he said
"Good morning Sister McFarland," and as I quietly said back "Good
morning!" I felt all those nervous feelings I had before melt away. It
wasn't the floor shaking, angels descending, manifestation I was
expecting, but I knew by the peace I felt in my heart that he truly is
a living apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ.

After having such a peaceful reflection, I nearly jumped out of my
skin when we started singing the opening hymn "Let Zion in Her Beauty
Rise" because it was so loud, and so strong as 400 missionaries so
enthusiastically sang. And that was nothing compared to when we sang
the closing hymn "Called to Serve." I couldn't even sing because I was
so overcome with the spirit that I started crying!  Like someone once
said "We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps any other
thing except prayer." Man, I've never heard anyone sing as
enthusiastically and loudly as we did that day.

The meeting itself was so spiritual. Elder Kearon and his wife spoke
to us, and then Elder Oaks and his wife spoke to us.  I wish I could
type out everything that they said and everything that I felt but that
would probably take forever. Elder Oaks talked a lot about repentance,
and how our responsibility as missionaries is to declare repentance to
everyone, even if it doesn't lead to a baptism. We teach repentance
and baptise converts!

This transfer was only a 5 week transfer. So it feels like it just
went by too fast! But last night we had move calls, and Sister Cardoso
will be leaving me to follow up train in a Portuguese speaking ward in
London. I will miss her tons, but she will do amazing things there! I
will be getting Sister Kerr, who is from the Visitor's Centre in Hyde
Park.

I'm excited for this next transfer and for all the adventures that lay ahead!
Love you all! Have a great week!

Love,
Sister McFarland



No comments:

Post a Comment