About me

I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. These are my adventures while serving in the England London mission.


email me at adriana {dot} mcfarland {at} myldsmail {dot} net

Monday, May 2, 2016

4 Seasons, One Day

Hello everyone! 
Recently we have been working with a little 8 year old girl named Betty. Her parents are less active, but said she could be baptised if she had all of the missionary discussions. Her granddad is a strong member and we have been teaching her at his home. Yesterday she was baptised by her grandad. It was a great day and she was so excited. I am always amazed at the faith of children. No wonder that Christ said to "behold your little ones." Sister Chou and I sang a musical item at the baptism, which was terrifying, but we did alright. 

The past several weeks I have been doing what is called a 40 day fast. How it works was last fast Sunday, I fasted for things that I could do to improve my self as a missionary, then in the spirit of the fast wrote down 10 things that kind of "poked" my spirit. I then wrote them down and committed to do my best to "fast" from the things on my list. I have really seen how much this has improved myself and made me be a more consecrated missionary. One of the things that I felt I should write was to not complain about the weather. I somehow knew that as I wrote that down that God would put me to the test with some difficult weather to face, but it actually hasn't been that bad! (And I'm being serious, it actually has been really nice.) Please note that the following experience is not a complaint, but merely an observation on the oddities about experiencing all 4 seasons in a day. :) 

One morning at 6:29 Sister Chou and I woke up to a wonderful surprise... When I got out of bed and looked out the window, I couldn't believe it, but there was snow on the ground! We decided to celebrate by having an April Christmas party. We jammed out to Christmas music all morning and had so much fun. But it was short lived, as by the time we left the flat in the morning, all the snow had melted and the sun was coming out. 

This was once shared  by Henry B. Eyring. A couple of months ago my companion shared this with me and I thought it was so beautiful that I just wanted to cry. (A mission has made me so much more emotional than ever before.) But I just loved it so much and wanted to share it all with you. 

The Fellowship of the Unashamed
"I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The dye has been cast! I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made; I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won't look back, let up, slow down, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I'm finished and done with low living, small planning, smooth knees, colourless dreams, tainted visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need preeminence, positions, promotions, plaudits or popularity. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk with patience, am uplifted by prayer, and labour with power. My face is set, my gait is fast, and my goal is heaven. My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear! I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, divided or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, and paid up of the cause of Christ. I just go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till I know, and work till He stops me. And when He returns for His own, He will have no problem recognising me, my banner will be clear. "
2 Nephi 7:7

Love,
Sister McFarland 







Pictures:
1. Betty's baptism
2. A lesson on the Godhead in both English and Chinese.
3. Snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment