About me

I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. These are my adventures while serving in the England London mission.


email me at adriana {dot} mcfarland {at} myldsmail {dot} net

Monday, April 18, 2016

A Missionary's Netflix



Nee how! (Hello!) I hope you have all had a good week.

This week our finding approach has been like this:
Sister Chou teaches me how to say something in mandarin as we walk up
to a group of Chinese students.
Sister Chou: "Excuse me, but my friend here is trying to learn
Mandarin. Can she practice saying something to you?"
Sister McFarland: ( begins to sweat and laugh nervously as everyone
stares at me) *insert a poorly pronounced sentence in Mandarin*
Chinese students: (stare blankly)
Sister Chou: (whispers what I am trying to say to the Chinese students)
Chinese students:  ahh! (As they finally understand) and begging
speaking fluent Mandarin to Sister Chou.
A few minutes later, we exchange contact details and set up a return
appointment. Even though I can't speak Mandarin at all, they at least
appreciate that I tried! Its been quite interesting, but has yielded
good results.

Sister Chou celebrated her 21st birthday on Wednesday🎉 In the
morning, the elders gave us a lift in their car and let Sister Chou
sit in the front seat. We also went to a Chinese buffet for lunch. We
had a dinner appointment, and the members surprised Sister Chou by
having a "Happy Birthday" banner, and brownies with candles so we
could sing to her. But it was also Sister Chou's 3rd birthday in the
church, as she was baptised on her birthday 3 years ago! So amazing.

We had interviews with President and Sister Stevens this week. That is
something that I love, that we get to have 2 interviews, one with
the mission president and one with his wife. I love them both so much.
They just radiate Christlike love in everything that they do. I always
leave interviews on a spiritual high, more pumped for missionary work
than a pumped thing.

 I don't know if any of you have seen the new bible videos that the
church has made about the life of Jesus Christ, but they are so nice!
They are really well done. Sister Smith and I started watching them in
Southend and loved them so much that we would download them on our I
pads when we had wifi, and then watch them later that evening after
planning or during dinner. We call it "a missionary's Netflix" because
it's as close as we can get! ðŸ˜‚ Well Sister Chou and I are still
carrying that out and enjoying our "Netflix".
Something exciting happened in the England London mission this week,
is the whole mission got new phones! This new phone includes several
exciting features: including an indestructible case the size of a
brick, a sick fin to make it more aerodynamic, and even a camera.
Every missionary has been trying to get used to them and how they
work.

I love being a missionary! I know the church is true and that God loves you!

I love you all and I hope you have a great week!

Love,
Sister McFarland





No comments:

Post a Comment